If you have ever ordered clothing, jewelry, gifts, or any other merchandise by phone, computer, or mail chances are those items were delivered straight to your home. Most deliveries DO NOT require a signature and are generally left at your front door even if no one is home to accept them.
These packages, which quickly catch the eye of potential thieves, offer criminals that ‘Crime of Opportunity” they are looking for. Thieves looking to steal your packages will follow or watch for UPS, Fed Ex, US Mail, and other delivery service trucks so they can target your home after the parcels are delivered.
While this type of crime can occur at any time throughout the year it usually increases around the holidays due to increased shopping practices of residents.
Below are some “Package Theft Prevention Tips” for you to use which will help reduce your chances of becoming a victim of this crime.
- If Possible ask for a tracking number. Most major shipping companies offerthis service at no charge. This number allows you to track your packages and notifies you when they will be delivered. Request a “Signature Delivery Option”. This requires a signature when the packages are delivered and ensures they will not be left at the front door
- Request a specific drop off time and date when you will be home to accept your packages
- Arrange to have your packages held at the shipping service so you can pick them up
- Ask the delivery service to leave your packages at a side or back door. An enclosed porch where packages are out of sight is also a good option
- Have your packages delivered to your workplace
- Have your packages delivered to the home of a relative or neighbor who will be there to accept them
- Ask to have your packages delivered to a retail store so you can pick them up at your convenience
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor to keep a “Watchful Eye” out for you packages. If they’re willing, ask them to safeguard your packages until you return home
- Leave a note for the carrier instructing them where to leave your packages (Ex: backdoor)
What Should You Do If You See Packages Being Stolen In Your Neighborhood?
- Call 911 immediately! Tell the call taker you are reporting a “Crime In Progress”
- Supply 911 and the Blaine Police Department with an accurate description of the suspect(s) and any vehicles that may be used