Helping residents prepare for Halloween this weekend is important, and the Poughkeepsie, NY Police Department used their tip411 system to send community alerts to residents via email and text message with helpful tips to keep safe.
Halloween Tips for Parents
- Make sure costumes fit well and that they are short enough to prevent tripping.
- Consider using hypoallergenic make-up instead of masks, which can obstruct your child’s vision.
- Add reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- Make certain costumes are flame-retardant.
Halloween Tips for Homeowners
- Clear your yard and sidewalk of any obstacles or decorations that may be hard to see in the dark. Check around your property for flower pots, low tree limbs, garden hoses or anything that may be hazardous to young children rushing through the neighborhood.
- Keep your home well lit, inside and out.
To see the full alerts, click here for Halloween Tips for Parents and here for Halloween Tips for Homeowners.